Synthetic wigs are very easy to care for. You don’t need to restyle your wig after each washing, like you would with a human-hair wig. However, it is important to point out that human-hair shampoos and other care products are unsuitable for synthetic wigs. Even the mildest shampoo that you might use on your own hair is too strong for the synthetic fibers used in a wig. The same can be said about hair styling mousses, sprays and gels – don’t attempt to use them on your synthetic wig.
Instead, use shampoos, conditioners and hairsprays specially formulated for synthetic wigs. Raquel Welch, Revlon, and Tress Allure produce wide ranges of wig care products, and all of these brands work well with any synthetic wig. Most websites that sell wigs offer wig accessories, too, so it is smart to pick a wig shampoo, conditioner and spray when you order your wig.
Another thing to remember is that synthetic wigs cannot be styled with curling irons, hot rollers or blow dryers. In fact, any heat can destroy your wig, so be careful to keep it away from lamps, ovens, etc. Most synthetic wigs are already prestyled but, if you want to add a bit of personality to it, you can use a mousse that is specially formulated for synthetic wigs and style it with your fingers.
Washing synthetic wigs – step by step
A synthetic wig doesn’t need to be washed very often – after 10 or 12 wears is usually enough. Still, you might have to wash your wig more often if you use a lot of spray or mousse on it. Every washing shortens the life of your wig, so our advice is try not to use excessive styling products on it, and don’t wash your wig until it looks like it needs to be washed.
1. Remove tangles with your fingers and gently brush your wig. The only exception is wigs that are very curly – don’t attempt to brush them
2. Fill a basin with cool water (hot water can damage your wig), mix a little bit of synthetic wig shampoo into it and place your wig in the water. Leave it to soak for about 5 minutes.
3. Swirl your wig around in the water, but don’t rub the fibers
4. Rinse your wig under running water
5. Shake excess water off your wig and spread it on a towel to dry. Alternatively, you can put it on a wig stand. If you have wig conditioner, put it on the wig and gently work it through the strands with your fingers. Remember you can’t use blow dryer on a synthetic wig, so place your wig in a warm room with good ventilation and let it dry naturally
6. Brush your wig when it is completely dry and it is ready to wear again. Again, don’t brush wigs near me that are very curly.
As you can see, caring for a synthetic wig is really easy. And having a wig or several differently styled wigs can really help you to change your look in an instant.